Waverley Affordable Housing
Waverley Affordable Housing Program (WAHP) is targeted at low to moderate income households who are in full or part time work and can afford to pay between 65% to 75% of the median rent.
- About the program
- Type of accommodation
- Length of tenancy
- Who is not eligible?
- How do I apply?
The Waverley Affordable Housing Program (WAHP) is an initiative of Waverley Council to provide affordable housing in the Waverley Local Government Area (LGA) for households on moderate earnings. Waverley Council has appointed Bridge Housing to manage its affordable housing program.
To ensure the housing is affordable applicants must not pay more than 30% of their income. Waverley Council also requires that applicants must have a minimum of three years living in the Waverley Local Government Area (LGA).
You are also eligible if you currently live outside the Waverley LGA and can demonstrate that you have lived in the LGA for a total of five years (non-consecutive) over the past ten years.
- Your household income must be between $56,680 per year ($1,090 per week) and $101,400 per year ($1,950 per week). These amounts are subject to change.
- You must demonstrate a connection to the Waverley LGA. This requires a minimum of three years living in the Waverley LGA. You are also eligible if you currently live outside the Waverley LGA and can demonstrate that you have lived in Waverley LGA for a total of five years (non consecutive) over the past ten years.
- An income review is carried out at the end of each 12 month lease. If you are still eligible, the tenancy is renewed for a further 12 months (up to a maximum of 3 years).
Your rent is set at up to 35% off median market rent for a property in the Waverley LGA. These figures are provided by the Housing NSW Rent and Sales Report. Your rent will be adjusted each year according to movements in rents in Waverley or the annual CPI increase (whichever is the lesser amount).
Two weeks' bond is payable at the commencement of the lease.
The program has a mix of one and two bedroom units situated in multi unit blocks in the Waverley local government area. Availability is through additional units added to the program or through vacancies.
Accommodation is available for three years. The purpose of the WAHP is to assist people to find more permanent accommodation, by providing a reduced rent.
- If you are already living in medium to long term subsidised social housing in Waverley, Woollahra, Randwick, Botany and the City of Sydney at the time you submit your application.
- If you own assets or property which could reasonably be expected to be used to solve your housing needs.
- If you are the employee of or the immediate relation of employees of Waverley Council or Bridge Housing Limited.
- If the current WAHP rent is more than 30% of your household income. These amounts are subject to change.
When you apply for housing you will be required to provide personal information to support your application. This includes financial details. Personal details will remain confidential and will not be disclosed to other organisations or members of the public without your permission.
However information will be shared between Bridge Housing and Waverley Council for the purposes of managing the Affordable Housing Program.
We may also provide information to third parties to assist in recovering debts.